An Impingement


I know my skin color is dark...probably darker now, due to the sun...and an incident awakened me to what people can do...and say.
..we live in this great country of many races...albeit, it has it's moments of random stretches of sanity....it unearthed me for a moment in time, yesterday on the links...the golf course...where I play thrice a week...paired up with 3 others, noticeably much lighter skinned than I...where are you going with this Horse?...
As most of you know, I am Native American...ah, one of them Indigenous people...Injun...Indian...well, whatever Columbus called my ancestors...5/8ths Native Blood and proud of it...let's carry on...

The golf hole that I was playing is parallel to the highway, er street, that is just outside the golf course...cars buzz by often...and this time, was different...as I just whacked my golf shot...a voice from a car, going by at the same time...it was screamed out loud...for youse golfers, who have the same thing...often you hear some bloke bellow out 'FORE!'...not this time...

I asked my playing partner, did you hear that?...obviously, he did and made mention that it had to be someone who knew and didn't like you...in jest...well...it was the word, that gets to the heart of all black men...cuts right through....this foo yelled out 'n..gger'...to me...to borrow Dolly Parton's line "I am not a dumb blonde, cuz I am not dumb, and I'm certainly not blonde"...yet it did kind of shock me...

Which refreshed my mind...of the time we, Vertis and I, were waiting for the school to open at our Jr High School...Vertis was the only black student in our 7th grade...and a guy, Danny W, drove by in his black Ford...a high school bloke...and yelled out 'n..gger' to Vertis...and this asshole drug out the word, to emphasize it...I never will forget Vertis's reaction...his forehead just shriveled up, and he cringed...didn't say a word...nor did I...

The impact of just one word...that can hurt like no other...can be thrown out at a moment's notice...we, the USA, are not free from degradation...it still happens...the idea of that...did carry over to me in high school...as the 'Indian' thing popped up...which I will not go into...the concept is concrete as is...we still have a long way to go in this country...

Pivoting...

Another mass shooting...this time at UNLV...Vegas...a university really close to the strip...where a part time professor, at the age of 67...took out his anger...and killed 3 and one more is critical...what possesses people to do this?...I will never ever understand random killings...

This date...December 7th, 1941...the USA was attacked and brought into the WWII...by the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor on the Island of Hawaii...I can recall my mother talking about dark shades we all had to do, at night...the fear of more attacks on the west coast, where we lived...

How about some Padre News?...one of our key players, Juan Soto, got traded by GM AJ Preller...along with CF Grisham, for 4 pitchers and a backup catcher...to the Yankees...good, bad, I dunno...as I told my son, the Padres may be wearing all brown uni's next year...cuz they play like...well, you know...hopefully, this is AJ's last year...

Time magazine had Taylor Swift as their person of the year...deserving, I think...wait, there is still a Time mag?...

I equate LeBron James in hoops, to Tom Brady in football...they are ageless miracles...

Just a Q for you car people out there...do they still make cars with manual transmissions anymore?...you know, '4 on the floor'...that type?...

My posting will be spotty for the next few days, kids...as that is what we are about to do...see the kids...I got tickled big time...as they sent a vid of the youngest ACTUALLY talking a sentence!...can't wait...


Comments