The Ugly American


Morning, kids...we are back from the vacay...to Cabo
...am guessing we stayed at the 'new' Cabo...the one that is on the Pacific Ocean side...not on the Sea of Cortez...believe me, I could be wrong about this...er, not believe me...the site, Playa Grande Resort is absolutely gorgeous...4 pools and immaculate...not cheap, but what is, I reckon...we did not take the all-inclusive, which may have been a mistake...seems like it came out to about the same...doing the math...3 restaurants, that were just dandy...well, we never ventured into the last one...the 2, were great...as we spent most of our time in the pools...72* seems cool...not there, in fact it was perfect...mostly adults and so, we were happy everywhere we went...in the compound...

Now, the downside...we had to take 2 flights to get there...long story short, cuz we had to use Southwest...use up our money before the end of January...to say, I don't like that airline is an understatement ...herded like cattle...everything about it seems so cheap...

A highlight of one of the flights, is that one lady saw us...and said 'you must be newlyweds, you seem so happy!'...

The incoming Cabo airport is an absolute joke...notice I said 'incoming', as the outgoing was the opposite...the horrific lines to check this , that, and everything...well, it took two monster lines of people to get through it all...easily an hour and a half...imagine...'NO PHOTOS'...plastered everywhere...of course...then, another wait to get the shuttle...which takes about 45 minutes to get to the hotel...figure they were just testing ya...how much can you take...

Now the 'Ugly American'...as we arrived, we had to get something to eat...went into the restaurant and had food...sitting across from us, was this couple...elders, wait, I can't give them that moniker, olders...ah, perhaps my age...hard to tell...and he raised his voice to order...'I want some chocolate sundaes...two of them...go get some vanilla ice cream and pour some chocolate syrup over the top...you GOT this?...TWO...'...then, raising his voice 'do you understand me?'...'TWO CHOCOLATE SUNDAES'...of course, this was not on the menu...very similar to the Jack Nicholson bit...about 10 minutes later, here came a couple of small bowls of what he wanted...honestly, I was ashamed to be American at this moment...well, ashamed he was...

I must say the waiters we encountered were all wonderful...

We did get the same feel of the area, that we had 30 years ago...the last time we were there...the haves and have nots is unnerving...we did venture into the market area...safe?...I guess...went down to the marina...everyone is on the take...sell you this, take you there, you know what I mean...let's just say it is an experience...

One more...the airport at Phoenix...going thru customs...then on to the connecting flight...an absolute joke...you walk about a mile to get to the gate...no kidding...pass thru screening all over again...oh yea, and the flight from there to SD and SF...packed and judging by the faces of the stewards...too many more, 'Ugly Americans'...Southwest Air, never again...

Sorry, I missed writing to ya'll....but we were busy...from the moment we got up...what did I miss?...the NFL games...saw bits and pieces...the one surpriser to moi, was how easily that the Eagles beat the Giants...well, I shall get back to 'normal' and see ya maƱana...BTW, I packed this shirt, prior to the death of one of my absolute favs...David Crosby...



Comments

Popular Posts