Happy Thanksgiving




Happy Thanksgiving to all of you out there in the free world
...ah, this is just an American Holiday, right?...am NOT going to get into who took what, and all that...ha ha...that time has past...but, I am going to say 'Enjoy what you have, and make the best of it'...however you got it...stop that, Horse...your very own traditions, may have changed over the years...time does that...my pseudo fam out at the golf course, all have their own rituals...Gary makes a big turkey, and a prime rib, and feeds whoever shows up...Pops goes to the Hamptons, and lives the elite life...Billy makes a filet for his lady, and a porterhouse for himself...the Dude, peruses the 99 cent store and comes up with some form of delicacy...here, at the home, we are actually going to pick up me older brother and head on out to Ruth's Chris...the kids?...they have pre-made fixins and the turkey from Costco...and it takes about as much time to heat that up, than start from the beginning...so, he says...you see, we are all different...

The thought rang thru me head, what song epitomizes this day?...I came up with an oldie...shhh, I know what you are thinking...'I've Got Plenty to Be Thankful For'...by the one and only Bing Crosby...hey, it may have been cuz the present horse racing season out at Del Mar, is called the Bing Crosby Season...well, duh...no, have not got out there...yet...yes, my passion...man, those are beautiful animals...

One of these days after, we will cook our own turkey...just the breast...we do this about every other month...do all the other stuff, including that I make my own cranberry sauce...BTW, this little tidbit, for you heathens who don't...get it out of the Ocean Spray can...the jellied version...their label is upside down...you know why?...it creates an air bubble in the can, and when you open it up via the opener (duh), the jellied cranberries come out in a perfect log...like many people adore...now, you know...thanks to the Horse...

The Tree?...the plan is to erect (now THIS is when you use that word, Herschel) it in this am...the color?...red and green, I think I heard that...the Boss is the final say...yes, I have always loved the season...makes me feel giddy....

The next 3 weeks are slammed with peoples...coming and going...and what not...and us going...in Cosmo...too much to tell you about...but, the calendar is a mess...

Roots...please be advised that this is a talk similar to one that would be given to a psychiatrist...that probably makes no Horse sense...this show, 'The Alaska Daily'...made me really want to go up there and see the state...especially from where my dad was from...the Eyak Village...I have a few hesitancies...as he was actually shipped out of there, in the early 1900’s...in the time when the US was making the red men, white...to a boarding school at Chemawa, Oregon...he stayed there until his teens...went back up and his father tried to have him arrested...long story...but, it made me not want to go there as I grew up...actually was offered a job in Metlakatla Island, in my college years...what was really odd, is that dad never talked about it...I think I would like to go there now...

Roots (2)...my mother was a Santee Sioux...South Dakota, Nebraska, well, in that roaming region...she, too, tried to get out...she did...went to college and found daddy...at Haskell Institute...yup, another 'Indian' boarding school...I have never been to the badlands...never back to the heartland of my mother...thing is, I don't think she wanted to go back, either...sister Jill would know that for certain...as we never spoke about it...mom didn't bring it up and I didn't ask...life went on and it was better than where she came from...

The conclusion?...as time has passed (man has it ever), this heritage thing just sticks in my craw...proud of it in some ways, disappointed in others...as we sit and ponder...go back?…or not?...

Anyhoo, do enjoy whatever you are doing today...it can be a special day...if you make it so...

Comments

Popular Posts