Sunday Morning, Say 'Ah!'

With all of the possibles, that could have transpired...the protests that could have gone array...the  morning brought out a huge 'SIGH!'...they were peaceful and purposeful...which, in my estimation, carry so much more meaning and power...congrats to their leadership...staying on point...

Read a terrific article that was in the Trib today...by the sports dude, Calepa...a long standing writer for the newspaper...as he went back into time and did a correlation of what it's like being...not white...as one of his fellow collaborators...was black...the obvious treatment that he got, compared to what his friend, went through...was striking and worthy of retelling...just passing through the turnstiles of an airport...how Calepa walked right on, and his friend was often...stopped...and searched...often...as one example...

Very similar observations that I went through...as a young man...not being black, but being a Native American...the kind way that people now call us...then, it was Indians...and, of course, worse...my blood, is considerable...5'8 ths...and I will tell you a story of 'back when'...so you can try to understand...hey, if I had a buck for every time I have been called 'chief', I would be in the thousands...for sure...kind if my reasoning for my blog title, 'Crazy Horse'...

Jr High...perhaps, one of the worst times for growth...right?...my good friend was black...yes, you are saying 'a black and a red'...we lived out at an 'Indian' boarding school...originally founded to change the ways of the 'Indian' to the white man ways...true story...my father actually attended in his youth, there...all this in the early 1900's...let's get into that a bit...

The 'Indians' were rounded up from wherever...my dad, actually all of his siblings, too...were inhabitants of Alaska...shipped up to Oregon...to the school, Chemawa...my dad persevered, and ended up being a teacher there...listen, the school still exists, even today...the premise has changed...now it is an institution of learning....government still owned and operated...

We, my dad's family lived on campus, where the employees had available homes...my black friend, his dad was also a teacher at the school...we went to school at the publics in Salem...caught a bus...the whole thing...one incident occurred that I will (obviously) never forget....as our bus would get to the school, before it opened...so we would stand in front of the doors, awaiting...

One day, a black ford went by us...slowly...and the driver, a high school student...that I will forever recall his name ( will NOT use it) leaned his head out and shouted...'NIGGER!"...I watched my friend...as his forehead appeared to cringe...as he dropped his head...the car went off...I asked him if he was OK, and he did not say a word...I just saw the sadness of his eyes...

There has never been a word, or phrase that hurt me like that one does to their race...I can handle it....don't like it...but, can handle it...but THAT word, there is HURT...

Yes, I get those who want equality...I get it...I understand...

Do YOU?...

Comments

Popular Posts