Pappy Van Winkle

Time for a history lesson from the Horse...back in the day...the adult beverage of choice was the liquor, bourbon...in particular, Jim Beam...mostly thanks to the tutelage of Rick Z, I must add...as I was mostly a guzzler of the beer stuff...not a lot, mind you...and we are talking in me late 20's to boot...I know, hard to believe, but true...

And it remained the chosen one...until the past decade...as I have aged, my preference has gone to others, that too, have been aged a bit longer than the Beam...a wide allotment of look sees...Jack, Dickel, Basil Hayden, Blantons, Calumet Farms, hey, the list goes on...until the last time we were back in Orygun...

I asked the barkeep at one of the new bars in the revamped downtown area of me old stomping grounds in Salem...to 'get me a shot of one of your finest...bourbons'...alas, it was a gem!...and to be had neat, was important...yes, I shared it with my good buddy, Snooki (of course, he bought it)...it was named Pappy Van Winkle...as soon as I got back home here in SoCal....I started the search for a bottle of it...

My eyes exploded!...as to the cost of it...for the cheapest and yet, a 10 year aged masterpiece, it would set me back $599!...WTH?...that is, if you could find it...Bevmo doesn't carry it...as them bottles are only released once a year....however, I did find 6 PVW's in Ocean Beach...and yup, the cheapest was that five hundred ninety-nine buck one...

Off we went last night to the infamous Whiskey House...which by the way, was slammed!...go figure...and I asked if they had Pappy...yup, at $130 a shot...I paid $50 in Salem...here's the math, there are 18 shots in a bottle...18x130= $2340...yea, and that is for the 10 year one...

Who makes this?...ah ha, it is bottled by the SAME distiller that does the Costco Bourbon...Buffalo Trace!...OK, different batches...for sure...I still haven't got the Costco one...can't find it...but I did have the Buffalo Trace at the WH...at $10 a shot...not the same, kids...in the end, if you all want to get me something for my upcoming half birthday....here is the gift...

Other...

The mighty Pads were a sailing right along in quest for their first win last eve...up 6-3 in the top of the ninth...brought out THE closer...who didn't close...and we got bopped 8-6!...he gave up 5 runs...here's the deal...it was obvious from the get go, he didn't have his good stuff...yet, the Mgr stayed with him...I guess that is good for the long run, but, it wasn't there...show confidence...I dunno, these MLB dudes are so diff from moi...anyway, 0 fer 2...160 more chances...

Think the Giants hitter, Joe Panik, isn't on top of the world this weekend?...hit dingers in the two games with the Bums...the only runs scored in the two games...won 'em both...

The gals NCAA Big Dance...just like last year, the UConn gals got upset in the T...OT...I will say this...their brand of ball has improved soooo much...there is more team play than the guys version of the game...it's true...congrats to Notre Dame...

Today we find out if the slipper fits for Cinderella...Loyola of Chicago...and if my pick, Kansas, can get to the finals...each of these two teams are 5 point dogs to their opponents, Michigan and Villanova, respectively...

Hmmm, is that Jordan Spieth getting back into the groove in Houston?...to add yet another name to the possibles for next weeks' Masters...I got Bubba, Lefty, Justin, Tiger, Rory, and now Jordan...all ready to put on that illustrious green jacket...it is a crap shoot, my good friends...

Shared ownership...back in the day...we had a quarter share in a condo in the mountains of Central Orygun...named Sunriver...just a terrific getaway, both in the snow and the sun...that meant that once a week, every month we had access to it...I'm hearing some bits out now, that that style of ownership, may be coming to SoCal...interesting...hey, wanna co-buy the bottle of Pappy?...

This is THE day that I did not mention anything about the CLIP Joint...I'm giving you the day off...

Are you waiting your invite for Meghan and Harry's wedding?...yea, me too...

And that's the way it is...3/31/18...

Comments

Popular Posts