Louie Louie


'We gotta go now'...man, this is a blast from the past...and don't ask why I am mentioning this now...must have been I heard it at a game...but, it was ringing in my ears...this is the dance song of my era....yup, mid to late 60's...'Louie Louie'...


And you kids now...have this version that made it throughout the radio world...by the Kingsmen...actually sung and played in a garage with but one mike suspended from the ceiling...it is and was a very primitive piece of music...and yet, very catchy...shoot, that band even followed it up with a couple of others...one that I remember was 'Money'...yea, really...

However, for us youngsters in the great Pacific Northwest...this was NOT the 'Louie Louie' we knew and lurved...ours was by the group that traveled down to our neck of the woods...played at the Salem Armory...and did the REAL one...Paul Revere and the Raiders...they rocked...the lead singer was Mark Lindsey...it had the full sound and was heralded as the correct version...by us dudes...and dudettes...

Still, for the rest of the nation...and to this day...if you hear the song...it will be the one by the Kingsmen...many years later, I was the Activities Director at a couple of high schools...and you won't believe this...some of my superiors wanted to nix the song from our band's performances at games...'too suggestive'...what?...I persevered  and we rocked on...many years later to it...

Staying in to music...I've always enjoyed the Stones, er Rolling Stones...one of them British Groups of the 60's that actually did their own stuff, and not just covers of the US products...not sure if their best isn't 'Satisfaction'...a top ten ever rock song in the Horse book...I could hear that over and over...however, my point is this...much like the above song of 'Louie Louie', there are lyrics that I not only can't figure out, or hear...by the lead, Mick Jagger...in most of their productions...as Dick Clark said, 'it is the beat'...probably so...terrific drums and guitar play...but the words?...fuggit about it...

I coulda swore that I woke up today to one of them songs...nope, just a street person venting...to the world...the perils of downtown living...

So, I did play at golf yesterday...and get this...I walked!...and am paying for it today...ha ha...especially last night...we used 3 clubs and a putter...geez, if I coulda made just half of my makable putts, I woulda scored in the mid 80's..true fact...

This is true and weird...one of my golfing mates, brought up the NFL DB, Ha Ha Clinton Dix...really, a name...he had an obscene joke that went with it (Monica Lewinsky)...but...out of the blue, on the 11th hole...the club pro, Clinton, showed up on the tee...I'm almost certain that he was checking if I was riding in a cart with Pops, and not paying...what?...I couldn't help but think and I did blurt out, 'Ha Ha Clinton Dix!'...

It's a good thing that NY has the Yankees...cuz there is no other team worth a damn in the City...tuff on a huge market there...the Knicks are awful in hoops...and the Giants ever worse in football...witness their effort at home last night vs the Lions...not sure why QB Eli Manning (Archie's son and Peyton's lil bro) is playing...he looks terrified...time to do something else, dude...

Man...the latest storm in the Atlantic...Maria...reaping havoc on those vulnerable islands...again...let's hope that it turns northward and heads on out to sea...er, ocean...why do they call it sea, and, not ocean?...

Does anyone eat cereal anymore?...take a look at the aisle for it in your soooper market...drastically smaller space, now...right?...

Of course, the song for the day is...'Louie-Go Home', by the Raiders...

Now...if you want to judge for yourself...there is a CD out on many bands doing the song, 'Louie Louie'...it's called 'The Louie Louie Collection'....check it out on iTunes...



Comments

Popular Posts