Pistol Pete

The NBA All Star Game is in Loosiana this weekend...yea, forever, the team there was called the Jazz...and like many owners do...THAT bloke moved 'em to 'greener pastures'...in Utah, for goodness sakes...and retained the name...there...OMG!...the Utah Jazz...there is no such thing there...I digress...

When I think of hoops in the deep south, I am all about Pistol Pete Maravich...the tall, lanky, mop haired, superior handler of the basketball...in his time the BEST, Jerry, the BEST...he grew up in the Carolinas...went to play hoops at LSU...where the coach was his daddy, Press...they had a terrific team...that I saw play in Corvallis...Oregon St, for you SoCal dudes...

They got totally screwed in the game...the refereeing was there to show them that they were in indeed enemy territory...it was truly embarrassing...really...they had two huge forwards that dominated the boards and Pete was incredible...in the days prior to the 3 point line, he averaged 44 pts a game...imagine...

Went to the pros to play in Atlanta and then the bulk in N'orleans...he got even better...until, like most NBA hoopsters...he broke down physically...knees...in his final season...the move and Pete was made to Utah...the franchise sent him packing to finish off in Boston...one last hurrah...and he was gone...he finally passed in '88...he had 2 kids...

And this...he was born in the year that I was...oh my...he was only 41 when he died...

More other stuff...

What I am listening to on the Beats?...Simon and Garfunkel...cool...some of their songs are sung in a way I wish more groups did...Paul is in one ear, and Art in the other...the Beatles did this...as did CSNY...seems like real stereo...

Blustery conditions are all about the new rain belt...like down here in SoCal, apparently...the golf T in LA actually was suspended...high winds and all...the horse races canceled...trees down everywhere...high water levels...boooo....

President Trump is spending the weekend in Florida...I bring this up...cuz...I have never seen so much  coverage of a Prez than this one...they video him arriving...descending the steps...when did they ever do this for the other ones?...never...ever...I hate to say this...but with the country so divided, imagine the security he has...

This is like a 'Dancing With The Stars' segment...the celebrity hoops game in Loosiana...who were these players?...your owner of the Mavs, Mark Cuban, was one of 'em...oh my...as was Master P...what?...both dudes were actually on DWTS, too...thus making them celebrities...

Remember when we all went down to the VHS and then DVD store to rent a good movie to watch?...always two...just in case...then over to the bake your own pizza shop?...gone are those days, I reckon...wait, do you still have that where you live?...

Which one of them divorcing duos are Flip and Flop?...I think she is Flip as she was the doing the flipping...what?...

The Ducks host Colorado today...another must win...at home...isn't that 41 straight?...something like that...I bring this up cuz...one of the Buffalo assistants is the former USD coach, Bill Grier...working his way back up...I suppose...

There is something in me that keeps resonating....the Pac 12 is much better...but...the Duke/NC/Virginia conference has a bit more talent...maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'm swayed by the east coast pundits...

OK, as BG has said...'oh no, the Horse has pulled up lame!'...well, I'm getting better...not there yet...have to be ready for their visit...

And, now, more than ever, the Horse rests...








Comments

Popular Posts