What's It All About?

Alfie...remember that flick?...Michael Caine...Shelley Winters...'66...more memorable was the title song...right?...by Dionne Warwick...I'm just rattling your brains this fine morning...have no Idea where that came from...just did...that era was so frustrating to live in...

You think that the politics are in rough shape now...try the 60's on for size...Cold War...Cuba ladened with Russian Missiles...the threat of the domino theory in the far east, namely Vietnam...the Mafia undo influence on many things throughout our country...Unions running all our big businesses...you could buy a nice house for $10,000...that's right...on and on...

And through it all...a beloved Prez gets shot down...executed!...JFK...on this date in 1963...stunned we all were...I was a teeny bopper...I believe the event that changed TV news forever...everyone was glued to it...not before then...made us all say "What's it all about?'...tragic...Dallas, Texas...still, I'm not convinced it was just one crazed assassin...

Couple of years back, I had the good fortune to visit the site...I guess you could call it a 'monument' of sorts...what struck me, was how small an area that the Dealy Plaza actually was....which fueled even more the notion that it was more than one that did the killing...I'm gonna tell you right now, it was eery...

In the 60's there was this place out in the Nevada desert just coming together....called Las Vegas...'The Meadows'...hmmm...really?...what's the Spanish word for the desert?...would have been a better fit...maybe not...the infamous Rat Pack were part of the growth...which had our Prez K there, too...there was quite the collaboration of him and them...you see...

The press was different then, too...kept quiet on personal lives...imagine Kennedy in this era's media habits...or paparrazi...or whatever...social media...egads...I digress...

Anyway, that's where we are going to spend our Thanksgiving...it's going to be too cool to use the pool...dang...maybe the hot tub...going to eat well...and imbibe, I'm sure...the ponies?...you betcha...and of course, some 'Let It Ride'...and we are going to see Olivia Newton John...geez, another name out of the past...'Grease', the movie, catapulted her to fame...can't believe that was in '78...seemed more like in the 60's...maybe cuz the plot was like in the beginning of that era...

Sooo...off I go to pack...haven't done it yet...get outta here around 10ish...I'm torn as to what to wear while there...at least I'm toting them tenny runners...not so much the flip flops...sport coat?...see...a dilemma...as we are just taking carry ons...

Well, I hope your Thanksgiving is all that you want and deserve...I won't write until I return...so, cheers to YOU!...

BTW...who in their right mind names their new born baby, Alfie?...what's that all about?...


Comments

Popular Posts