Baseball Cards

Morning, kids...it's a very fast month, wouldn't you say?...for some reason, I have been following baseball more than I have in the last 5 years or so...maybe due to the acquisitions of the new Pad's GM...AJ Preller...as he has created a new buzz around here...

Not that we are knocking down any walls...we have a better offensive lineup...still, not the same level as the upper tier of teams...like the Bums...I digress...we have some gaps yet to fill to become the best in our division...2B and SS are musts...we are severely down in those spots...

The hot rumor is that we are shopping around for a SS...names?...Tulowitski...Andrus...and some rookie dude out of the Cubbies farm, Baez...to get one of them, we'd have to part with a quality bloke...and one of our cherished AAA kids...and it is said, that the price tag to keep the acquired one, would be very high...

2B?...no mention to this spot...earlier I kept hearing the Phillie's vet, Utley...and I was on board for that move...what we have now, is the worst in MLB...sorry, kids but it's true...

So AJ has some work to do...some might call it a miracle to achieve...we have many of the pieces to the puzzle...not all of them...YET!...

Which brings me to the title of today's blog...Baseball Cards...for many a kid, one of the growing phases of life...was to get into purchasing them...I remember when I did so...had some beauts...like a Mickey Mantle ( I had this one, as pictured)...Willie Mays...Rocco Colavito...shoot, I can go on...we moved...my mom did the unthinkable, tossed them away...and the value of those cards vaulted over the top...

When my son took his turn, he (we) got into the card biz (again)...sets were in the fold...really great ones...I'm not sure how many...he still has his...Bowman, Topps, Fleer, and on and on...glossy, some with special tags, some that had actual signatures...more gimmicks to get one to buy 'em...in my mind, a great hobby...

Card shops were opened all over the country...there were conventions for them...retired "stars" would be in attendance...would sign their names...get this, for a price...and the value of their cards would soar...and be cherished...way cool...so...how about in these days?

Not sure...when I give a gift in an Xmas stocking, I will give Cris some packs of cards...and I tell you, he spends more time with the opening of them then any other present...it's in his blood...try it for your kid...

I can still remember getting the pack(s) home...going into my bedroom...opening the pack...with great anticipation of getting a star's card...chew the bubble gum provided (no longer in 'em)...and add what I got to the stash...BTW, they were numbered...and fit them into my set to be...

Ah, memories...of the baseball card...wishing you all a terrific Thursday...


Comments

Popular Posts