PERS BS

Stop me if I have told you of this story before....wait, I know I haven't...it's a true one about my retirement....from the grand state of Oregon...please, no tears...and, these are all the facts, mam...just the facts...
Every state has 'em...public retirement systems...PERS...and as I am eligible for retiring...after 30 years of teaching...I went through a counseling session with their rep...I guess it would be our PERS rep...here's the catch...and that has been an issue since I left the working force there...it was at the height of money making stocks in the US of A...so, my figure to schedule to live on was at it's height, too...this was the money amount that they told me!...not that I came up with...OK, it was good, and I left the teaching profession and that was that...
PROBLEM!...as the country went from great to aghast with the stock market nearly crashing, so did the retirement system monies...as they used OUR MONEY to play in the market...of course, like all the ways of the stock market, it ebbs and flows....and it has come back...BUT...the state said..."wait a minute, you retirees, we want that money back"...what?...
The Oregon PERS screwed up...it turns out that all of it's retiring patrons, from about 2000-2004 were given too much...and off the battle went to the court system...it actually landed in the state supreme court...all PERS people, by the way...and they ruled..."get that over-payment back from those greedy retirees"...might not seem like a lot of $ to those judge blokes....as they make way more than the retired teacher...BUT...
I figured I'd be long gone before this was ever settled...WRONG!...
In their figurings, they said that the greedy folks should have been paid at 12%, not the 20% they got...and they said, "oops, my bad"...give us our money back...
So here we go...I have 3 choices...pay the lump sum diff...pay it back monthly...or call them and tell them to go ____ themselves...wait, I'll say that anyway...
Lesson to be learned...if you are planning on retiring soon...don't trust anyone...

Comments

Popular Posts