Bedford Boys

I am reading this book about the history of the Bedford Boys...nope, not a hoops, beisbol, or a football team...this tiny little city in Virginia...where at the time of this story, the population was around 3200...you think I'm going to a "Hoosiers" type here, huh...nope...begins right after the Great Depression...in the 30's...don't stop reading...where the boys from this tiny little town found a way to make extra money...by joining the National Guard...and they would get a whopping $1 a day for marching every other week...and that was a whole lot of money way back then...and it became a big thing for those boys...they all did it...as the war in Europe was unfurling, and Pres Roosevelt kept preaching pacifism, the boys and their families felt very secure in their little world...if you are interested in this, get the book, or cheat by reading up on it on Google...
I thought I knew quite a bit about this time of our history...I have to keep studying, as I had no clue...this whole era was so fascinating...trust me...

And you think I am kidding about the elite team in the NBA...the Clips...as they easily whupped New Orleans for their eleventh straight win...and got to rest their starters for most of the 4th quarter...who's next?...the horrid Kings of Sacramento...who just sport the biggest jerk in the league, this Cousins character...I figure he'll get t'd and get booted by the 3rd quarter...

It's Poinsettia Bowl time...SDSU plays the Cougars (?) of BYU...no, I am not going...it's on the tube...ha ha, not blacked out...this is like a huge rival game...the last time they played it was in Utah...and a crucial play was "reviewed"...and an obvious call went against the Aztecs...turned out that the replay booth was a couple of BYU boys...and it set up rules for such a crew after...nonetheless, it killed SDSU then and thus was named "replay gate"...bad blood here, kids...worth watching on ESPN tonight...

Speaking of ESPN....yesterday, for a full hour, the guest commentator was none other than, Billy Crystal...he was absolutely hilarious...I just happened on it...his humor was all over the telecast and I have to admit, the most enjoyable 60 minutes I have ever seen in their production...

I started birdie, par, birdie on the back yesterday...ha ha...the rest of the round was NOT like that...it was fun for a short time though...let's just say, if I could get away from smothering an 8 iron I would have been under par...spaz...

One of the advantages of living downtown...I met up with Marsh after her appointment down at 5th, for a happy hour flat bread pizza and drinks...and walk home...by the way, it is cold here...I got to the course yesterday, and it was 36*...I was in shorts and took major shit for such an attire...by the 4th hole it was already about 60*...

What a great day to go to the off track...yup, I'm going to bet the ponies...Pick 6 here I come...and down the stretch they come...


Comments

Popular Posts