Big Love

If you don't have HBO, you need to get it...if you haven't watched Big Love, you need to watch it...
It's a story about polygamy...at times, hilarious...at times, so piercing...at times, thought provoking...
You see you have your typical (?) Mormon who has his sights on following their Book of...taking care of his family...only thing is...he has a huge one with 3 wives...and he is trying to live in the real world, and yet, have ties in the other more protected one in "the compound"...so the story gets complicated, with so many twists and turns it is, well, absolutely great...
So I am playing golf with this young feller the other day who is a theology student...graduated from college and all...had done some time in South America where he did some preaching...figured he'd try to pry my lid and see where I was with it...nope...guess he surmised I was a goner...anyhoo, I asked how and why he got into that field...and he said he had a friend that was Mormon and figured there had to be other beliefs than that...got hooked and is a big believer...there must be a message in there somewhere...
So, I'm thinking no greater place to test taking the lord's name in vain than on the golf course...he handled most everything with grace...of course, he was a very good player, which does make things a lot easier...and at times, he was stuck being my partner...anyway, we are a duo when he is faced with a near impossible shot, to keep up his side of the partnership ...and is worth like 6 bucks...a fact that he incessantly talks about, his lack of cash....no doubt he is looking above for guidance and promptly hits a worm burner in the woods...probably the first real bad shot of the day...and subsequently, I see his iron majestically swirl in the air, probably 50 yards...in fact, his ball should have taken that path...he said he'd meet me on the green...I could not swear he sweared...he then is dependent on my shots, only...I thought I heard him say, "Why Lord Why?"....

Comments

Popular Posts