Rocky Colavito

As I wander back in my past and think about the history of baseball, as I see it...I think of my favorite player of all time...Rocco Domenico Colavito, Jr....aka Rocky Colavito...yes he was my hero...the HR hitter playing mostly for Cleveland...yup, the Indians (twisted)...a team still named the Indians...I've already gone there...
Anyway, my older brother was a devout Yankee fan, thus I was against any thing he liked...Rocky was a long ball hitter, had a monster arm, and was loved by the public...he dropped out of high school to become a big leaguer...actually a NY native...took him 6 years to do it, but was established as a star...went from Cleveland to Detroit to Chicago to LA to Cleveland and finally ended on NY...that's maybe accurate...
I had his baseball cards and they were coveted by me...
And now the rest of the story...
As my interest lessened in college I lost track of what had happened to him...I got married and me and my first wife took a trip to Southern Cali and took in an Oakland A's game...and lo and behold...there he was coaching first base for the Detroit Tigers!
I hadn't thought of him forever...brought back many memories...probably the greatest was that my mom threw away all my old cards...
Time passed on and we had a son...and guess what? He was a baseball card freak...and as he was developing his collection, he ran into one old star named Colavito...if you can believe this...his card was hard to get!...rumor was his family gobbled up as many of his cards as possible to run the price up...
In the times that followed there was a book written about the curse of Rocky Colavito that stymied the Cleveland chance of winning the world series...funny stuff really...
The Rock is still living and is in his late 70's...
I know he never showered before the game was over...

Comments

Popular Posts